Jesus Was A Liberal: 15 Quotes The ‘Christian’ Right Doesn’t Want You To See -
The Christian Right goes on and on about how much they love Jesus Christ. When will they get the memo? Jesus was a liberal.
Have you ever wondered why right-wing Christians keep saying they love Jesus Christ, even though their toxic beliefs have nothing to do with what Jesus said, taught, or stood for? Whether you believe He was our savior, or just a great teacher in history, have you ever suspected that if Jesus Christ lived today, he would have been a liberal? Well, you were right all along. Jesus was a liberal. And we’ve got 15 quotes to prove it.
“But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.”
– Like many liberals, Jesus Christ scorned phony displays of religion.
(1) Religion: Right-wingers claim to love Jesus, and are known for loudly shouting their faith from atop their soap boxes. But, like many liberals, the real Jesus Christ scorned these showy – and often phony – displays of piety. He said: “But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.” [Matthew 6-7 KJV]
(2) The 10 Commandments: As far as we can tell, the leaders of the Christian Right don’t obey the laws inscribed on the tablets Moses brought down from Mt. Sinai, let alone the ones Jesus valued most. When crowds asked Jesus Christ what He saw as the most important of the 10 Commandments, His reply reflects the values of today’s liberal Christians. Jesus clearly sees a pure love of God and for our fellow human beings as the bottom line for being a Christian: “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.” And: “Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.” [Matthew 36-40 KJV].
(3) The “War on Christmas”: We’ll never know what Jesus would have thought about Christmas décor and baby-in-the-manger scenes at City Hall. But He probably would have found conservatives’ rantings about “The War On Christmas” puzzling. As many savior-savvy liberals would quickly point out, Jesus Christ didn’t celebrate Christmas: He was Jewish, and would have observed Hanukkah.
“Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s; and unto God the things that are God’s.”
– Jesus Christ agreed with liberals when it comes to paying taxes and keeping Church and State separate.
(4) Paying taxes: Right-wingers keep whining about taxes and saying that paying our national debt and having a social safety net is like slavery. When they don’t get their way, they shut down the government, or threaten to secede from the US. But when it comes to taxes, Jesus Christ is more like a liberal. He said we should pay our taxes even when we don’t agree with what they’re used for. “Then saith he unto them, ‘Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s; and unto God the things that are God’s.’” [Matthew 22:21 KJV]
(5) Separation of Church and State: The Christian Right keeps trying to force their beliefs into our legal system, and to fund their churches and schools with taxpayers’ dollars. Like modern folks in the USA, Jesus Christ lived in a huge empire with diverse religions and ethnic groups. Many of Rome’s laws and customs were against his people’s customs and beliefs. But – like most liberals – Jesus Christ clearly believed that Church and State should be separate, as shown in the above quote.
“And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.”
– Jesus Christ’s views on income inequality and capitalism were very similar to those of liberals.
(6) Income inequality: Have any of you liberals out there wondered what Jesus Christ would have thought about today’s rampant income inequality? Right-wing Christians love to ignore the fact that Jesus made his views about the one percent abundantly clear: “And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” [Matthew 19:24 KJV]
(7) Capitalism: Right-wingers are ever in search of ways to promote and justify the unfettered capitalism Pope Francis rails against. But they won’t find any help from their Savior, Jesus Christ. He loathes capitalism, even more than most of today’s liberals here in the US. Pretty much the only time we ever see Jesus lose his temper is when he returns to Jerusalem with his disciples and finds the Temple full of bankers and vendors. He doesn’t just yell at them, he destroys their booths and drives them out with a whip that he makes on the fly. One can only imagine how Jesus would feel about Black Friday.
“And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers’ money, and overthrew the tables; And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father’s house an house of merchandise.” [John 2:14-16 KJV]
“But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?”
– Jesus Christ believed we should help each other, as liberals do today.
(8) Welfare and the social safety net: The Christian Right keeps ranting about how raising taxes to pay for programs that help the poor is somehow like forcing us into slavery. But Jesus Christ’s views on feeding, clothing, and helping people in need was more in line with how liberals think. Jesus flat-out told his followers that when they help people in need, He sees that as directly serving Him:
“Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.” [Matthew 25:34-36 KJV]
(9) Healthcare: The right-wing Christians who oppose evil, “liberal” Obamacare have failed to notice something that seems crazy-obvious to the rest of us. Their Savior, Jesus Christ, was always out and about doling out free healthcare — the horror! — to his fellow human beings. The New Testament abounds with stories of Jesus healing blind people, lepers, crippled people, paralytics, a bleeding woman, a young girl in a coma, and pretty much anyone who asked (or had someone ask for them). His disciple, Matthew, wrote: “Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.”
(10) Social justice: Unlike the right-wing Christians who pay only lip service to Him, Jesus Christ was a strong advocate for social justice. Martin Luther King Jr. and other much-loved liberal icons were inspired by His life and teachings. Jesus not only demands that the rich share with the less fortunate, but insists that if they don’t, they are heartless. “But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?” [1 John 3:17 KJV] Take THAT, Koch brothers.
“He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.”
– Like today’s liberals, Jesus Christ rejected the double standard for women and preached tolerance.
(11) The War on Women: Jesus Christ lived in a highly patriarchal society, but rose above the customs of his time. Like today’s liberals (and unlike today’s right-wing Christians), Jesus clearly valued women and treated them as equals. His parables abound with women who serve as role models to follow. At least four women — his mother, Mary Madgelene, and the sisters Mary and Martha — were in his inner circle. This may explain why women played a big role in the early days of the Christian church, and may have even served as leaders. Nor did Jesus respect the double standard that holds men and women to different rules. When a crowd gathered to stone a women to death for the “crime” of adultery, Jesus stopped them, demanding: “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” [John 8:7 KJV]
(12) Abortion: Unlike the Christian Right, which won’t shut up about a fetus’ “right to life,” Jesus Christ never talks about abortion. But in the tale of the bleeding woman (Luke 8:43-48 KJV), Jesus clearly rejects irrational taboos and religious rules against women. While walking through a crowd, a woman who had been bleeding for 12 years, touched the hem of Jesus’ garment and it healed her. She then cringed away in fear (the “issue of blood” seems to have been coming from down there, which meant that touching a man would give him “unclean” woman cooties). Instead of casting her away, Jesus did the liberal thing and said, “Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.” It’s too bad the “Christian” folks who run this country — and some hospitals — think their weird religious rules are more important than a woman’s health.
(13) Marriage equality: Strange, but even though our right-wing Christian friends are all in a lather over gays getting married and LGBT folks’ having the nerve to simply exist, Jesus Christ never uttered a single word about gays and other non-gender conforming people. He was too busy spreading his love, healing, loaves and fishes, and miracle wine around to bother with hating … kind of like one of those liberal hippies from the 1960′s.
“Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.”
Like many liberals, Jesus Christ preferred peace to war.
(12) War: During his famous Sermon on the Mount, Jesus Christ said, “Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.” [Matthew 5:9 KJV] This event took place shortly after Jesus Christ was baptized by John the Baptist, and is considered to be central to his teachings. The Sermon on the Mount was radical because of its ideals of peace, love for one’s neighbor, love of God, and striving for purity of heart. Liberals share most of these ideals, even if they don’t believe in the same god (or goddess) … or any god(dess) at all.
(13) The death penalty: The right-wing is all-out for the death penalty, all while they screech about being “pro-life” and rolling back a woman’s right to choose. But, like most liberals, Jesus Christ clearly did not believe humans had the right to take life from one another. “There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?” [James 4:12 KJV]
(14) Crime and punishment: Conservatives don’t just love the death penalty, they love meting out harsh punishments for even the least of crimes (unless you’re a Wall Street Banker). Our useless “war on drugs” — and large private prisons industry — explains why the US has the highest rate of people living behind bars in the world. Most liberals object to this, and so would Jesus Christ, who said, “Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.” [Matthew 7:1-2 KJV]
(15) On race: Although Jesus Christ lived in the remote region of Galilee for most of his life, He was born in Bethlehem and had traveled to Egypt and Jerusalem as a boy. He was probably more well-traveled than many people of his time, and had come across people of many cultures, colors, and nations. Jesus clearly shows that he sees no person as above another one when he said, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.” [John 13:16 KJV] Also, he was known to consort with all sorts of people who would have seemed scandalous to proper Jews of his time, including women, lepers, Roman tax collectors, his motley crew of fishermen-turned-apostles, and even — gasp — Mary Magdalene, who had a bad (and likely untrue) rep as a loose woman. It is unlikely that Jesus would have thought one race or skin color to be better than another.
NOTE: It is doubtful that Jesus Christ even would have been what we now call “white.” The Bible does not describe how He looked (other than things like “shining” and “radiant”). But, since Jesus and His family came from the Middle East, He is likely to have looked like today’s people from that region: Olive-skinned, dark-haired, and dark-eyed.
With Plastic Gun Ban, Congress Votes to Kill a Cherished Gun Lobby Argument.
Bad news for the people who think the Second Amendment term “well-regulated” means “not to be regulated.” A long-standing gun regulation will be formally renewed at the White House today, proving that even the Tea Party-dominated House of Representatives sees allowing certain weapons to be legally owned would be ridiculously and needlessly pro-criminal.CNN: The Senate voted unanimously on Monday to renew a 10-year ban on guns that cannot be picked up by metal detectors commonly found in airports, court houses and government buildings.
The law, which prohibits firearms made mostly of plastic, was set to expire at day’s end.
It had drawn renewed attention recently due to its pending expiration and the advent of mainly non-metalic handguns produced by 3-D printers.
The House acted last week, and now the measure goes to President Barack Obama for his signature.
In a world where bottles of shampoo are perceived as a serious danger of terrorism, an undetectable firearm ban was really a no-brainer. And the current guns are undetectable, despite a steel fig leaf designed to create a loophole in law. “Currently, plastic guns made using 3-D printers comply with the law by inserting a removable metal block,” CNN reports. “That has led to worries plastic guns could pass through metal detectors without being flagged by simply removing the block.”
Of course, not everyone’s happy. While the NRA has remained wisely mum on this common sense and noncontroversial ban, the more strident and extremist gun nuts haven’t been as quiet.Bloomberg News: Mike Hammond, legislative counsel for the Gun Owners of America, a gun-advocacy group in Springfield, Virginia, said the technology is now widely available, making a plastic-gun ban unnecessary.
“The genie’s out of the bottle,” Hammond said.
Individuals who intend to break the law will not be deterred by a ban on plastic materials, he said. “It’s stupid to think it would make any difference.”
This “people will break the law anyway” argument has always struck me as the most logically weak of all gun lobby arguments — so much so that it always catches me off guard when someone actually makes it to me. I find myself wondering if they’re making it because they think I’m dumb and hope to trick me or if it’s the fact that they’re so dumb they can’t see the obvious flaw.
Hammond’s argument can be made against any banned substance or controlled item, of course, from methamphetamine to improvised explosive devices. Laws against these things don’t stop people from making them or using them, so by the gun lobby’s argument, these things shouldn’t be illegal at all. People should be allowed to cook and sell meth even in school zones and wear suicide bomb vests on passenger flights. The law doesn’t make it impossible to do these things, so it’s somehow absurd to suggest making them illegal.
In fact, if we apply this reasoning universally, then rape, murder, and theft should all be totally legal, for the same reasons. The only laws congress should ever pass are those that are impossible to break — no going faster than the speed of light! — and, of course, those laws would be completely unnecessary.
What laws banning substances and items do are to take dangerous people — along with their contraband — off the street and put them behind bars. When we find out someone’s running a meth manufacturing operation, we can shut it down. When someone’s planning to blow up a plane with an IUD, we can move in and stop them. These things happen all the time, proving the “law is powerless to stop it” argument is a bunch of fatalistic horsecrap. If we can’t possibly stop people from breaking the law, how is it that we manage to do it over and over and over?
And the big blow to the pro-guns-everywhere crowd in this law is that it proves that even many teabaggers in congress don’t really believe this bad argument. Here we have a law banning a specific gun, passed because congress doesn’t want people to be able to sneak a gun through a metal detector — and obviously they believe that law can be used to prevent that. A vote against renewing the ban would be ridiculously pro-criminal, pro-terrorist, and pro-assassin. A vote for this ban is a vote for the fact that gun restrictions can reduce gun crimes.
In short, it’s a vote against the “gun laws can’t stop criminals” argument.
Unfortunately, the House GOP decided to cast their votes in the most cowardly way possible — by a voice vote, so names wouldn't be attached to votes. The only way to know if a rep voted for or against the ban is to wait for them to tell you. And a lot of them won't, in large part because that vote proves one of their favorite arguments against gun control is a lie and that they don't actually believe it.
So again we return to that question: when a Republican congress critter makes the “laws can’t stop criminals” argument, are they lying or stupid? Given the way the plastic gun ban turned out, the odds lean toward “lying.”
[photo via Statesman.com]
The War On Idiocy turned 3 today!
(Source: fuckyeahcitizenradio, via allisonkilkenny)
Nelson Mandela's funeral will be on Sunday 15 December, says South Africa's President Jacob Zuma -
- South Africa’s Rugby team, the “Springboks” pay moving tribute to Nelson Mandela http://news.yahoo.com/video/springboks-pay-tribute-nelson-mandela-103157131.html?soc_src=mediacontentsharebuttons … #NelsonMandela #Madiba
- THE WORLD MOURNS: Nelson Mandela headlines from around globe http://bit.ly/IvuFAZ (@CBCNews)
- The @PresidencyZA South African Presidency has set up a tribute site for Nelson Mandela http://www.presidency.gov.za
- #UN flag lowered to half staff in honor of #Mandela. pic.twitter.com/VVeGWXfoDD
- #Mandela's body taken to military hospital in Pretoria as funeral preparations get under way: Watch #c4news live: http://www.channel4.com/news/
- South African President Jacob Zuma says outpouring of love for Nelson Mandela is ‘unprecedented,’ demonstrates his caliber as leader - @BBCAfrica
- South African President Jacob Zuma says Nelson Mandela’s body will lie in state at Union Building on Dec. 11-13 - @SABCNewsOnline
- Official memorial service for Nelson Mandela will be held at Soccer City in Soweto, South Africa, on Dec. 10, South African President Jacob Zuma announces - @MyNews24
- Nelson Mandela will be buried in Qunu, South Africa; Dec. 8 will be day of national prayer and reflection, South African President Jacob Zuma says - @pretorianews
- Nelson Mandela’s funeral will be held on Dec. 15, South African President Jacob Zuma announces - @MG_Reporter, @ewnreporter
- Johannesburg stock exchange pauses trading for 5 minutes for 1st time ever in tribute to Nelson Mandela - @mailandguardian
- Nelson Mandela was ‘a hero of freedom,’ former Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi says - @ansa_english
- China’s President Xi Jinping says his nation will always remember Nelson Mandela for his contribution to relations with South Africa - @BBCAfrica
- More flowers being put down at Nelson Mandela Square in Johannesburg; crowd still strong despite threat of rain - @ewnreporter